- Collaborate with your other Housing units on student recruitment dates. (Ex. Res Life, Dining, Conferencing, Main Office, etc.)
- Create a master calendar with important recruitment dates: advertising dates, application due dates, interview sign ups, interview dates, info sessions and hire dates.
- Review job descriptions and update as needed.
- Submit marketing requests and update your marketing materials. Utilize all your marketing resources.
- Contact your Campus Career Center for new student outreach opportunities in order to increase your student applicant pool.
- Collaborate with Human Resources on necessary hiring forms.
- Offer support services staff professional development opportunities by participating in selection and interview panels.
- Schedule your interview space.
- Stock up on healthy snacks during your long interview days.
- Be open-minded and listen for innovative ideas from your eager applicants.
Have any recruitment ideas to share? Bring them to the Support Services Roundtable at WACE 2014. See you there!
The WACUHO Annual Conference and Exhibition (WACE) 2014 is only two months away! Hosted by CSU Channel Islands, CSU Northridge, and CSU San Bernardino at the beautiful oceanfront Mandalay Beach Hotel and Resort in Oxnard, the conference will provide opportunities for professional development, sharing of best practices, and time to connect with valued colleagues and exhibitors.
Some highlights to look forward to at WACE 2014 are:
- New Professionals & First Time Attendees Welcome Reception – start the conference off right, meeting new colleagues and welcoming new members.
- Three keynote speakers – Dr. John Tymitz, Lee Mun Wah, and Terri Bump
- Nearly 50 program session options for attendees that cover all areas within student housing: facilities, administrative services, residential life, and conference services.
- Outdoor morning wellness sessions with a view of the Pacific Ocean, including the annual 5K fun run along the beach!
- Nearly 50 exhibitors and corporate partners to connect with via the Exhibition hall, Vendor lunch, and during the 4th annual ‘Exhibitors in the Round’ sessions.
- The 57th annual Business Meeting – this year there are no program sessions during the meeting, and all are encouraged to attend.
The regular registration deadline is February 28, 2014, make sure to register and make hotel reservations soon! The Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort is a beautiful facility, and due to the popularity and location, the hotel is expecting to sell out during the conference – making reservations early are recommended.
For additional information and to register for the conference please visit the WACE website: www.wacuho.org/wace.
See you in Oxnard April 6-9, 2014!
Liz Miller, Claire Davis, and Chrissy Bender
WACE 2014 Annual Conference Tri-Chairs
Dear WACUHO Colleagues,
Each year our WACUHO Community recognizes a current member of the association who has made significant contributions to the Western Association of College and University Housing Officers over time through their dedicated service and outstanding leadership by bestowing upon her/him the Charles L. Miller Leadership and Service Award.
As a self-directed community it is incumbent on our membership to nominate colleagues who are deserving of this valuable award through their long-term and consistent leadership and service to our association.
I invite you to submit nominations for consideration. Please submit a completed nomination application and supporting documents as attached to Stephen Fleischer, Chair of the Awards and Recognition Committee by Friday, February 21, 2014 at Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at the e-mail address above or call 323.343.4804.
I thank you for your consideration and look forward to the nominations,
President Elect and Chair of the Awards and Recognition Committee
Charles L Miller Nominations 2014
A monthly-ish venue for WACUHO members to discuss social justice and diversity topics with colleagues across the region.
Extending the Dialogue: Parents & Social Justice at Work
As student affairs professionals, we are trained to have teachable moments with students; how do we go about having teachable moments with parents?
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 3:00pm
Dial: (712) 432-1500
Participant Access Code: 142512#
Are you looking for an opportunity to take a leadership role in WACUHO?
Do you want to make a difference in WACUHO?
Would like an opportunity to “give back” to the Housing and Residential Life field?
Consider the 2014-15 Executive Committee!
Nominate a colleague, nominate yourself, or ask a colleague to nominate you for the upcoming 2014-15 Executive Committee! (If you are nominating a colleague, please speak to them in advance to ensure they are interested)
NOMINATIONS ARE DUE 5PM, FEBRUARY 7, 2014!!!
Open positions include:
*Appointed position by Executive Committee
Send nominations to:
1. Outstanding Volunteer of the Year Award
WACUHO Committee Chairs will be solicited for nominations for the Outstanding Volunteer of the Year Awards in mid-January. Nominations will be due to the Awards and Recognition Committee by February 21, 2014. This honor is bestowed upon one of our many committee volunteers who has made a significant contribution to the success of a committee. It could be you!
2. Nominations for The Charles L. Miller Service and Leadership Award
Nominations for the Charles L. Miller Service and Leadership Award will be open from January 13 – February 21, 2014. This prestigious award is bestowed on a member of our WACUHO community who has made a significant contribution to our organization through leadership and service. For more information regarding this and other WACUHO awards, see the Awards and Recognition chapter of the WACUHO Leadership Manual on our website, WACUHO.org.
WACUHO runs on volunteers. We currently have well over 150 different people serving on various committees and in various positions to help our organization provide the best service it can to its members.
In preparation for next year, committee sign-ups for 2014-2015 are now available on the WACUHO website. They will be open for some time, so there is not a rush if you are not certain which committee you would like to be on. HOWEVER, if you are interested in CHAIRING a committee, we would like you to complete the form before January 23rd, 2014. The WACUHO Executive Committee is tasked with selecting committee chairs, and our goal is to have chairs selected well before the annual conference. If you are interested in chairing a committee but would like more information, please feel free to contact the current chair or someone on the Executive Committee.
The Western Training Institute will be February 23-26, 2013 at Sequoia Retreat Center in beautiful Ben Lomond, CA. The theme for this event is Beyond the Box. Beyond the Box is challenging attendees to look about how they currently provide support to students and how they serves as allies to various groups on campus.
Attendees will gain knowledge and skills on serving as an ally and gaining greater understanding of the term and how they can serve as allies to more than just the traditional use of the term within the LGBT community. This is an excellent opportunity for any professional who wishes to further develop in the area of student support while being surrounded by other professionals in a beautiful location. We hope you will consider joining us on February 23-26.
We invite Chief Housing Officers (or their designees) to complete the 2013-2014 WACUHO Housing Survey. This survey, conducted by the committee every two years, covers rates, services and revenue sources with regard to Student Housing programs in the region. We will share the results of the survey with the membership, and hope this will be a valuable tool for Student Housing departments in our region to utilize. The survey will take 20-30 minutes to complete. We are seeking responses by Friday, January 31. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Legislative Affairs and Research Committee Chairs Kelly Cole or Nathan Moses.
The Legislative Affairs and Research Committee is interested in conducting research of value to the Association. Are you interested in helping us develop surveys? Do you love creating reports? We have considered developing a survey to learn more about campus policies on service and comfort animals or on campus tobacco policies.
Additionally, we are interested in setting up conference calls where folks, who are conducting research, can share their experiences and their findings regarding student affairs, student development or other related fields. Are you conducting research related to the mission of WACUHO? Let us know! We’d love to speak with you about your work.
Like what you hear? Interested in learning more about or getting involved in the Legislative Affairs and Research Committee? Contact us with any questions you may have.
Kelly Cole and Nathan Moses
Legislative Affairs and Research Committee Chairs
Did you survive the holidays? Welcome to a new year and a new you. Let your Support Services committee serve you up some food for thought. Here are five wellness and balance tips to start your year.
- Start your day by focusing on yourself. Eat breakfast, wear something that makes you feel good, listen to music on your way to work.
- Set goals that you want to accomplish during the week at the beginning of the week. Check them off your list as you accomplish them.
- Connect with co-workers. Go to lunch or take a break with a co-worker that you don’t get to talk to often. As you connect, collaborate.
- Get some fresh air and clear your head. Take your eyes off the computer screen and go get some vitamin D.
- If all else fails have a 3pm dance party in your office. You’ll be surprised how many of your co-workers join in. You will feel refreshed.
Support Services Committee