The WACUHO Annual Conference and Exhibition is coming up soon! The WACE committee chairs have been hard at work putting together an outstanding conference experience for you, and we look forward to welcoming you to beautiful Monterey California for WACE 2015, “Mindfulness in Monterey: Must be Present to Win”
Hosted by U.C. Santa Cruz at the Monterey Marriott, and Monterey Conference Center in the heart of historic Monterey, just steps from the breathtaking Big Sur coastline, the conference will provide opportunities for professional development, sharing of best practices, and time to connect or re-connect with colleagues and exhibitors.
Just a few of the highlights of this year’s conference include:
- New Professionals & First Time Attendees Welcome Reception – start the conference off right, meeting new colleagues and welcoming new members.
- The WACUHO Equity and Diversity Awareness Committee is sponsoring a series of roundtable discussions on diversity-related topics during Tuesday afternoon’s Session 8.
- Engaging keynote speakers – including Stanford University’s Dr. Alia Crum (see brief description below  or check out one of her TEDx talks at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqq66zwa7g
- Nine program sessions featuring dozens of programs with options for attendees at all levels, that cover many areas within student housing: facilities, administrative services, residential life, and conference services.
- Outdoor morning wellness sessions with a view of the Pacific Ocean, including the annual 5K fun run along Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay!
- Nearly 50 exhibitors and corporate partners to connect with via the Exhibition hall, Vendor lunch, and during the 5th annual ‘Exhibitors in the Round’ sessions.
- The 59th annual Business Meeting – this year there are no program sessions during the meeting, and all are encouraged to attend.
- The Association is debuting a new program format called the mini-session on Tuesday during Sessions 6 and 7. After spending the first part of the morning in the Exhibits Hall, conferees will have the option of attending two 30-minute sessions that are intended to give presenters and participants an opportunity to exchange knowledge and insights in a compact framework. Borrowing from the success of TED talks all over the country, this new format will add a valuable new dimension to the conference.
The early registration deadline is February 20, 2014, make sure to register and make hotel reservations soon! The Monterey Marriot is a beautiful facility, and due to the popularity and location, the hotel is expecting to sell out during the conference – making reservations early is recommended.
For additional information and to register for the conference please visit the WACE website: www.wacuho.org/wace
See you in Monterey March 29-April 1, 2015!
 Dr. Crum’s research focuses on how changes in subjective mindsets—the lenses through which information is perceived, organized, and interpreted—can alter objective reality through behavioral, psychological, and physiological mechanisms. Her work is, in part, inspired by research on the placebo effect, a robust demonstration of the ability of the mindset to elicit healing properties in the body. She is interested in understanding how mindsets affect important outcomes outside the realm of medicine, in the domains such as exercise, diet and stress. More specifically, Dr. Crum aims to understand how mindsets can be consciously and deliberately changed through intervention to affect organizational and individual performance, physiological and psychological well-being, and interpersonal effectiveness.